Did you know that 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime?
Because of the need for donated blood, Memorial Blood Center is sponsoring a number of blood drives in Eden Prairie next month.
On March 18, residents can give blood at HID Global located at 6533 Flying Cloud Dr. from 8 to 11 a.m.
Another drive will be held on March 25 at Pax Christi Catholic Community from 1 to 7 p.m.
In order to donate blood, various criteria must be met.
- Be 17 years old, or have a 16-year-old consent form
- Weigh 110 pounds or more
- Be free of antibiotics for 24 hours, unless taken daily for skin condition
- Be symptom-free for at least 3 days following a cold or flu
If you choose to donate, Memorial Blood Center suggests the following tips for a good experience:
- Get a solid night’s sleep before donating
- Eat a full meal within six hours prior to your appointment
- Avoid strenuous physical activity or heavy lifting for a few hours after donating
- Make sure that your system is fully hydrated—drink 12-16 ounces or more just prior to donating and plenty of fluids for the remainder of the day
To schedule an appointment to donate blood in Eden Prairie, go online and create a free donor ID.